About Me

My Photo

Vicki Washuk World War ll Blitz  Buy On Smashwords    Also   Buy Diary's Here:
I am the great-granddaughter of Ruby Side Thompson. 
Recently I started re-reading the World War ll journals and felt that they were such an important part of a history that will soon be forgotten if not published and shared with the world. These diary excerpts are not the entirety of what is published in print and kindle.
Ruby grew up during a time when education was just beginning to be encouraged for both upper and middle class women. During the late 1890's Ruby explored many radical political ideas of London, England. She met many famous people including the writers George Bernard Shaw and William Butler Yeats. 
5.0 out of 5 stars A choice pick, not to be overlooked, November 6, 2011 By Midwest Book Review (Oregon, WI USA)

World War ll London Blitz Diary: 10-17-41: All Hell Breaking Loose - I think it is wonderful that Victoria took diaries of her great Grandmother and preserved them as books for all to read. World War II is a part of history that will soon be forgotten if not for wonderful people like this that want to share them with the world. I am a fan of first-hand experiences and love reading them. My own books are of my own first-hand experiences. For sure none of us want to live through RELENTLESS RAIDS with bombs dropping everywhere- War is hell for all. I pray that readers don't ever experience the agony, pain, suffering and torment of another war like WWII. THANK GOD we don't have to say: "It was another quiet night due to bad weather. This afternoon the weather is clearing, so I expect we shall have the raiders (bombs falling) tonight." I believe we all should read & learn about WORLD WAR TWO. What better way than to read the diary of someone who lived through it? This important event actually happened in the past. We need to know how everyone was affected and influenced while living during the mayhem and turmoil of all hell breaking loose.

10-17-41
We don’t have to be dowdy because we can’t be happy. Also I think, make sure of today whilst you know you have it. A new dress, or a new wave, does definitely sweeten the present. I can’t stop the war. I can’t fight the war. Tomorrow or tonight, the war may destroy me, so, let us take what ever sensible pleasure that is available to us, whilst it is available, either by offering itself or by us being able to accept it

10-20-41
This afternoon I went to Wykeham Hall, for a meeting of the Guild of Friends of Prisoners of War. It was fifty percent boring, and fifty percent mildly interesting.

10-23-41
We had a warning last night. Gunfire, pretty heavy, it began about eight–thirty p.m. The alert was given just before nine and the all clear at nine-forty. This morning we were told three bombers were brought down last night, but we were not told where.

11-5-41
As for increased taxes, I don’t give a damn. The men wanted the war, let the men pay for it. I don’t intend to scrape. My death may wait in any hour of the immediate future, so I will not crimp the present. I am alone now and I will wring all I can out of now.

11-9-41
It is still very cold. When they gave us the news this morning, we are told the R.A.F. was out over Germany again last night, but no mention was made of our losses. Have we lost another thirty-seven bombers or more?

11-10-41
Churchill said, “whether their efforts will be successful, but if they fail, I take the occasion to say, and it is my duty to say, that should the United States become involved in war with Japan the British declaration will follow within the hour.” Soon the whole world will be at war! All the big men are making speeches. Stalin, Hitler, Churchill, and Roosevelt tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment