About Me

My Photo

World War ll London Blitz:  Buy On Smashwords
I am the great-granddaughter of Ruby Side Thompson. 
Recently I started re-reading the World War ll journals and felt that they were such an important part of a history that will soon be forgotten if not published and shared with the world. These diary excerpts are not the entirety of what is published in print and kindle.
Ruby grew up during a time when education was just beginning to be encouraged for both upper and middle class women. During the late 1890's Ruby explored many radical political ideas of London, England. She met many famous people including the writers George Bernard Shaw and William Butler Yeats. 
5.0 out of 5 stars A choice pick, not to be overlooked, November 6, 2011 By Midwest Book Review (Oregon, WI USA)

World War ll London Blitz: 1-12-40 With the outbreak of war, and the blackout, all street meetings and associations, all clubs, etc., automatically came to an end.

Where to buy

Audio

January 12, 1940
It is very cold, but a bright sun shining. I’m awfully happy. It isn’t often I can say that, but today I’m happy. I am happy for no reason. Unless it is that the sun is shining. Anyhow, I have been less unhappy since the war started than for years before. I think it is because the war has given me Ted more to myself. He had to stop giving two nights a week to his damned Evidence Guild, because there was no longer a Guild he could devote himself to. With the outbreak of war, and the blackout, all street meetings and associations, all clubs, etc., automatically came to an end. Ted has even moderated his daily mass-going this winter, the first break in that peculiar regularity since we returned to England. This winter is proving a very severe one, and whether Ted doesn’t feel too well, or whether laziness is encroaching on him, or whether at last his religious fervor is cooling, I don’t know; but quite often in these last three months, three and even four mornings in the week, he has not gone out to the seven-thirty mass, but laid abed until eight o’clock. Marvelous!
So this morning I feel that I can’t worry about the war. I don’t care a hoot about Hitler, Goring, Ribbentrop, and Company. I can’t even care about the invasion of Finland, or the earthquake in Turkey. I just can’t worry myself, that’s what I feel.
The war is men’s doing; the earthquake’s natures, and I can’t do anything about either. I’m just happy–unreasonably, unwarrantably happy. “And fret not thyself because of evil doers.” It’s not even because I am resting in The Lord. I’m not.
January 26, 1940
Snow is falling again. This is proving an extraordinarily severe winter. Not only here in England, but all over Europe and also Northern America. Everybody suffers from the inclemency of the weather, but actually it is proving a blessing, because it holds up most war maneuvers, particularly in Finland, where it definitely helps the Finns and defeats the Russians. The Russians are being frozen to death!


No comments:

Post a Comment